Clueless Colleagues (or Non-Geeks)

I need a new job. I don't mean that in a whiney "I hate my job" way. Although, I do often find myself complaining about it...hmm.

It's just, I'm so very alone. *cue sad violins*

All anyone wants to talk about is what was on TV last night...I can't discuss my Marvel experiment, get excited about the new DC launch or talk about the things I love without watching their bored faces.

I'll illustrate my point, thusly:

We had a "superhero" themed window display and head office had decided to throw a few well known themes into our musical playlist.

ME: EEEEEEEEEeeeeeee! This is AMAZING!

Theme from Superman playing jubilantly in the background. Seriously, if they wanted to motivate me then it freakin' worked. Anyway - back to the story...

WORK COLLEAGUE: What is it?

ME: (deadpan) What?

WORK COLLEAGUE: It's a bit weird, isn't it? Sounds like a film or something. Ooh, is it Indiana Jones? He's a super hero, right?

ME: (shaking head in disbelief) ...SUPERMAN.

WORK COLLEAGUE: Well, how is anybody meant to know that?!

ME: How can you?! I mean, it's Sup...nevermind.

I mean, seriously, how can someone not know the Superman theme!? Should I be offended? Or feel so shocked? Because I honestly think there are more people who know that iconic theme, than those who don't. Either that, or I'm completely jaded.

Comments

  1. I don't think knowing the Superman theme is a matter of geek or non-geek. It's just a wider pop-culture thing, coming from Hollywood as it does. And, to be fair, the Indiana Jones theme and the Superman theme are both by John Williams, and pretty much everything John Williams does sounds exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts