Embracing My (approx. 6.5%) Scandinavian Roots

In August, I travelled to the birthplace of the Vikings. I also visited the birthplace of one of my ancestors...maybe. You see, four years ago my husband bought me one of those DNA testing kits for my birthday. I was absolutely ecstatic because I find ancestry and historical curiosities fascinating.

Eager to know my genetic make up, I completed the (quite frankly) gross test. Spitting into a test tube was not my idea of a fun test. Weeks later I received my results and I was surprised to see such a vast range of geographical locales. From 0.2% Sub-Saharan Africa to 16% French and German and of course, 6.5% Scandinavian.

Image Credit: Core Knowledge http://www.coreknowledge.org.uk/year2geographyscandinavia.php
The latter covers a large area but I prefer to romanticise it and stake it as my claim to Viking heritage. Not that the Vikings were particularly romantic of course. 

When my family announced we were going on a Norwegian cruise I was initially surprised. Mostly because my parents prefer warmer climates.

Nonetheless I was excited because it's a place I'd long wanted to see. My enthusiasm even made it to my finger tips, I decided to have some nail art created by Hey Missy Beauty who designed me some beautiful Norse Mythology and runic nails. 

Photo: Emma-Jane Corsan
Nail Art: Hey Missy Beauty
I love the story of Huginn and Muninn, the ravens of Odin. I even made a short film about them a few years ago. Missy hand painted them onto my nails and turned the rest into runes symbolising, Self, Journey, Joy and Movement - all things associated with travel. 

Even my choice of reading material for the holiday was decidedly Nordic. I read Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman as I wanted to familiarise myself with Norse Mythology. For me, the mythology and symbolism of a place is just as important as the history. 


When visiting a new place, I always endeavour to learn a bit more. Last year, I visited Sligo with my husband, the place his family descend from. It was fascinating learning about Queen Maeve. She's supposedly buried upright in a 40ft cairn on top of Knocknarea and facing the Atlantic Ocean. I hadn't realised how influential she was for the West of Ireland. I was surprised to learn she rode first into battles. 

Anyway, perhaps that's a post for another day. Let's return to Norway.

Throughout our trip we visited four ports, sailed through multiple fjords and endured the choppiness of the North Sea. One particular day at sea was noticeably turbulent and as I sat on deck, with the wind pelting my face and tangling my hair into a giant mass I realised two things. 

One, it's no wonder the viking people were battle hardened and fearless. Crossing the North Sea would have been no easy task. It's said that many Vikings who left for sea never saw land again.  

Two, if I truly had Viking roots, I'd have plaited my hair thus avoiding the knots and matted locks. Viking women were definitely much smarter than me. 

The first port of call was Stavanger. This place is considered the actual birthplace of the Vikings and I knew of a monument there that I wanted to visit. Unveiled in 1983 by King Olaf and created by Fritz Røed, Sverd I Fjell or 'Swords In Rock' is a large monument consisting of three swords plunged into the ground. 

Each hilt represents different Viking kings. the larger of the three represents Harald Fairhair who is said to have unified Norway into one country in 872. The swords themselves also represent Peace, Unity and Freedom.

Photo: Emma-Jane Corsan
It was just over an hours walk from the port to the swords and though it was pouring with rain for most of our hike there, it was worth it. The landscape surrounding the swords is idyllic and there's a calming but brooding atmosphere to it.

Photo: Emma-Jane Corsan
Simultaneously knowing this is where a huge battle took place while enjoying the stunning vista is surreal. 

We spent a lot of time taking photographs and walking around the sculpture to get the best vantage points. Fortunately there are few tourists around and the majority tend to hop on and off a tour bus. We were very lucky and managed to get pictures in-between the busloads of visitors. 

Photo: Emma-Jane Corsan
I hope to write more about my trip to Norway in future posts but I'll end with an old Norwegian saying:

Å Være midt i smørøyet 

Which translates roughly to "May you be in the middle of the butter eye", meaning to be in a good place. Smørøye is the hollow left by melting butter in the middle of a warm bowl of porridge. 

Comments

Popular Posts